Monday, August 6, 2012

Some like it hot

Some like it hot - but this may be a bit much.  It was over 100F on Saturday.
We Silkens have more hair, but I think we tolerate the heat better.  Mintz & Luka pant & pant.  It is a little cooler in the basement, but not tons - it is a daylight basement and gets afternoon sun on the 'daylight' side.  Oh, well.
J & Rob put fans all over the house.  They freak Luka out but definitely help.  If J makes Luka lie down by one, she will begin to relax after a while.

Sunday was not quite so toasty.  J took Bados & I to a practice down in Junction City, OR.  We had not played with that group before.  I think all those people usually course AKC.  Anyway, they were very welcoming to J.  A few Afghans, Whippets, Borzoi, and Greyhounds were there.  Because the Greys were there, J was sad that Mintz's foot is still bothering him from last weekend (it is getting better, though).

The cool thing about there lure was that it was reversible!  No one waited at the far end of the field for catching.  As long as we didn't catch it at the end they would start it up going the other way.  What a fun surprise the 1st time I ran!  I had begun to raise my head & fan out - anticipating a turn - when it stopped & started going back the opposite direction!  How sneaky!!  I zoomed back down to the start to catch it.
The 2nd time they had me run with an older Whippet.  This confused me at first because they released him late and then he only ran part way.  I continued toward the end of the field, but could not decide what to do.  They mixed up the direction a couple of times in short bursts to throw me off.  I'm not sure what I did to get them moving it again, but I got in a good sprint & capture both in mid field & near the end.  I'll need to think about how to manage that reversible lure if we go back.  Very tricky . . .  I love it.

I was so HOT when I was done.  It is hard to be a very dark brindle on a hot, sunny day.
Lots of panting!  Bados was panting a lot after his runs (respectable & speedy), but I think I was worse.   We drank lots of water - pausing for more panting, and J kept trying to spritz me with water which I find annoying.  

The fans were on, so it was cooler inside Ivan than in the sun; but it was still better to get Ivan's engine started & the AC on.  Bados & I slept all the way home.


No comments:

Post a Comment