Sunday, July 29, 2012

LC @ Roy (& a scary story about Mintz)

Although there were some low points, this was a FUN weekend.  J (with her Mom who is in town) drove Bados, Mintz & I up to Roy for coursing.

Sometimes when we go to Roy we stay both Friday & Saturday with Lego, Patty, & now Maggie.  I love that because their place (aka the Stetson Inn) is fabulous.  The yard is huge, & those guys are fun to play with.  Unfortunately, J wanted to stay in PDX friday night to watch the Olympic Opening Ceremony.  That looked pretty boring to me: a bunch of people parading about.  Then on Saturday we stayed at the "Stetson Inn", but Lego & the gang went up to spend the night with Tootsie.  This was confusing to me, but it had to do with Tootsie's person needing a ride down for Sunday.  Oh, well.  The event ran very late on Saturday so we would not have had much time to play anyway.

For coursing on Saturday, I ran a fair bit of the course & didn't manage to stalk at all.  It was not a continuous loop, and I find it harder to determine where the lure is going with the drag lure. My fans were disappointed, but J was optimistic that I might earn a 'qualifying score'.  Whatever, I managed to figure it out on the second run & 'tagged' the lure after stalking at about 3/4 through the loop.  I 'tied' with Chino, but neither of us had 'qualifying scores' so J was disappointed.  Whatever.

Bados got off to a mediocre start in the prelims, but he got his act together & coursed super in the finals.   He didn't win or anything, but he pulled from middle of the pack into a tie for 3-4-NBQ.  He coursed even better in the run off & earned 3rd place.  I will let the humans post the full finish order somewhere.  I forgot the details.  Actually, I wasn't really paying attention because I was worried about Mintz.

Mintz?  Yes, Mintz.  I know I pretend not to care about him, but I do a little.  Anyway, in the prelims he was looking great until he made a short cut when the lure was turning at the far end of the course.  Being speedy, he got so far ahead of the lure that they couldn't get it ahead of him as he came down hill into a coming into a tricky turn.  This should only have resulted in his taking a wide turn, BUT the irrigation sprinkler was (at that speed) nearish the side of the field.  We all held our breath as Mintz tried to brake & turn but seemed headed for the sprinkler.  ( I was watching from my little window in Ivan).    Then suddenly he was  on the far side of the sprinkler; he had managed to duck underneath it.  It took mere seconds but seemed like forever.  Even more surprisingly, after a short pause, Mintz kept moving and came around the far end of the sprinkler to complete the course.  Whoosh.

At first he seemed completely OK, but J scratched him immediately.  Walking him more, he would alternately favor one leg rear leg or the other.  J gave him a Rimadyl - which seemed like a good idea, but then he started to have bleeding & clear bruising between 2 toes on his left rear.  Maybe he hit it on the sprinkler?  The foot is even more sore & swollen today.  J is worried.  She cleaned it, applied antibiotic ointment, gave him Tramadol, & tonight has put a splint on it to help him keep weight off those toes.  He is miserable.  If it looks bad tomorrow she may take him to the vet.

Well, I have written a lot so I'll be quick in my Sunday report - I am sure humans will post details to their web lists.  BoB was Garis, who earned his FCh today.  Bados earned 2nd after a run off with Nike.  Nike stepped on the line & may have a line burn; hopefully this will not turn out to be as big a deal as Mintz's injury.

I had a blast & got my toes on the lure during both runs!  I managed to predict & stalk twice on the prelims.  The finals was good, too.  Of course, J was busy checking on Mintz & never remembered to get the video camera.  Sorry, fans; no new movie.

Until next week . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment