Sunday, May 14, 2017

The Beauty Pageant

Sorry for the LONG delay in my Saturday post, but the National Specialty show went LONG.  Their Banquet start was delayed about an hour, J had to drive straight there, and then she declined to be my typist when we finally got back to the hotel (her bed was calling; she's weak that way).  The beauty pageant had had lots of entries, & the judge took her time to carefully evaluate everyone.  She was even patient with puppies having panic attacks their 1st time in the ring -- far more patient than I would have been.  OMG -- Possum's brother was NOT a Happy Camper in the ring.

I'm no good as a reporter of the results -- you'll have to refer to others for that.  At some point the humans will manage to publish the catalog with all the placements, but I will summarize family & a few friends.  Although Appley is nearly 12yo, J showed in Altered -- hoping for that elusive ISWS ALCh title that Conner & I have.  Unfortunately, Rio the Wonder Dog - who drove with us to the Silkenfest in Kalamazoo & WON Best in Show - was also there in search of that title ... which Rio now has.  Appley did manage Altered Reserve Winner's Dog - which is pretty good for an old guy who could barely get up the energy to trot around the ring on a hot day.  Rio not only won AL Winners' Dog, but he also beat Conner for Altered Best of Breed.  Congrats, Rio!

Possum improved on his 4th place effort in the Sweepstakes to earn a 2nd place in 6-9 month Dog.  Not awesome, Possum; but not bad either.  His sister, Tiki!, failed to repeat her stellar job from yesterday.  I think she was 3rd in her class.  Nadia, who is now at Allagante from Serenity kennel, won Best Puppy.

Opa! did pretty good for her by earning 4th place in a large, competitive Open Bitch class.  That may not sound great, but her curls distort her top line & the 'stripe' on her front leg angles forward, to give the illusion that she is 'posting' when she is stacked.  Perhaps she assumes it's a losing battle, & this is why she shows no enthusiasm in the ring -- she really doesn't.  On the more positive side, our pal, D'Artagnan, won Winner's Dog (intact) to earn his ISWS CH.  That's pretty cool.

And me?  Well, although I won Best Altered last year, J decided to enter me in Veteran's this time around.  Yikes - that means I am 7yo.  How time flies!
Let's just say I came in 2nd to Best of Breed ... OK, not exactly (but sort of).  Storm (from Elessar)  won our Veteran Bitch class; I was second.  She went on to win both Best Veteran & Best of Breed.  As no other dog beat me, I think it's fair to say I came in 2nd to Best of Breed - even if I was not eligible for Award of Merit or anything.  I think I liked winning Best Altered better than being 2nd to BOB ... we may have to 'discuss' how she enters me next year.




No comments:

Post a Comment