Monday, June 4, 2012

Racing

J rarely lets me straight race anymore.  Although I did DQ in coursing (nothing BAD, just bad enough to get 2 dismissals within 6 trials), I have not been DQ'd from racing.  Sigh.

The field was pretty large, 27 dogs.  Bados & Gilbert both ran well. Bados finished 8th, and I think Gilbert was 10th. Rio was 18th - which doesn't sound so great until you remember he has been sick recently.  Our friend Lego finished 5th!  That's super.  NW hounds Hillevi, Sky, Nike, Kam, Garis, & Cayman were here, but did not race.  Just one practice.  They all looked good.  Maybe Karen & Jackie felt they were tired after such a busy weekend on top of last weekend.

I got 2 practices.  The first felt great; I got to catch the lure at the end, gave it a shake,  & started to bring it back.  Wahoo Woof!  The second time I paused initially to make sure there were no turns or curves as in some other events.  Nope.  Another dash to the finish!  What fun; I wish J would let me try to race again.  The last time I raced all I did was air snap when a dog passed me right at the finish line.  Wouldn't anyone want to do that?

Athena was there today, too.  We met yesterday.  We could be sisters, but are not closely related.  She is very slightly longer & lighter in color & my head narrower, but the resemblance is strong. Our own owners kept doing a double take.  I found the clue resemblance a bit disturbing.  Was she really a double agent sent to take my place?  Probably not, but you never know.  We played a bit, bt then I ran back to Ivan.

This morning many people had been loading cars in the parking lot & checking out of the hotel.  They planned to leave directly after today's straight racing; we decided to stay one more night in Gettysburg & leave in the morning.  J went to dinner with other lingering Silken fans; then they went on a ghost tour.  Sahara got to go with Jolene, but we all had to stay in our room.  None of the people saw any ghosts, but Sahara says she did near General Reynold's death house.  They also saw a memorial with an Irish Wolfhound statue.  Cool.

The computer keeps freezing, & J is tired.  I will let her stop transcribing for tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment