Sunday, June 17, 2012

Paws Across the Border and other things

This past week was pretty boring compared to our drive across the country & back with Silkenfest in the middle.  I know I complained about the long drives being tedious but I was either hanging out with our little pack in Ivan or looking out my window at the changing countryside.  Not much happens when I look out the windows at the house.  Here I just see the occasional squirrel or mail person.  If dogs go by, we make sure to run out & bark at them.  That livens things up a bit, but it is still pretty quiet.
It is good to spend time with Luka, our older Greyhound pack member.  She is doing great.  Had I mentioned she has an osteosarcoma?  She is very stoic regarding pain & does not complain about things like that, but she had started limping in February.  J & Dr. Swarmer (one of our vets) diagnosed it immediately.  Dr. Swarmer thinks J has bad karma or something since Gandhi died of osteosarcoma last year.  Anyway, Luka is doing so much better than Gandhi did.  His pain got out of control quickly, but Luka's symptoms have responded really well to the treatments.  She rarely limps at all anymore & still has a good appetite.  It's hard to believe that she is still not expected to live very long.

This weekend J took Mintz, Appley, & I up to a Silken gathering in Washington.  Appley is an almost 7 yo Silken; Mintz is a 3 yo Greyhound who has no clue that he is a freakin' giant.  He has no sense of personal space, but I guess he is OK.  She left Bados at home (yeah!).  Bados usually gets to go EVERYWHERE because he shows, races, & courses well (but tediously on task - he does not think about it at all).  Anyway, it was fun to leave him behind for a change.

Friday we went as far as Iola's place in WA.  The drive was longer than usual because of traffic, but we were still there before dark.  Little Patty has grown up a lot; she is almost as tall as me now.  We had a blast dashing about the big yard.  Mintz & Lego really hit it off, too.  They kept surveying the perimeter together.  Iola also introduced Sugar Magnolia; she is just 9 wks old.  Iola calls her Sugar; but I think she looks like a Maggie, or Magna (like the Magna Charta!).
On Saturday morning we drove up to Jane's property in Monroe, WA.  I had to wait in the car, but I hear it is nice.  From there we drove to pick up Barb Solga near Sedro Wooley.  I had expected her to have Claire with her, but no.  Apparently Claire is having her cycle.  I am SO glad I was spayed; I'd hate to miss out on the fun because of crap like that.  Although I hear some enjoy it, I think having to raise puppies might get tedious, too.  Anyway, I was sorry Claire could not come.
From there we went on to Ferndale.  Did I mention it had started to rain?  At first it was just a sprinkle, but at some point it became full on rain.  I don't particularly like the rain, so it was OK with me to wait in Ivan while the people ate some food in the grocery's cafe area.
After the people ate, we went on to Hovander Park (J may have misspelled that).  It was raining, but we got to go to a large off-leash area.  What fun!  Appley looked miserable being wet, but who cares; he won't melt.  I toyed with Mintz, who J kept on leash.  <evil grin>
There were lots of Silkens to play chase/tag with (Natasha, Charlie, Roman, Patty, Lego, Tootsie, River, D'Artagnan, Kira, Chloe, Gambler, Nessa, Morgan, and ?  I am forgetting the names of some dogs.  Patty & Peter had brought 2 more dogs (I think) from Corvalis, and Dawn had a dog with her from Canada.  One of Nessa's pack mate's was there, too.  Am I forgetting anyone else?

We came home last night.  Bados pointed out that it had not rained in Portland.  God, he can be annoying.  Plus today Bados got to go oval racing.  What did I say before?  He gets to do EVERYTHING.  I would love to oval race!!!  J won't let me because I ALWAYS get to the lure first.  Other dogs just run in a circle.  Why?  If you cut across to the finish, the lure will pull right to you.  Shoot, in a full oval, you can run backwards along the line & get to it even faster.  You just need to stay a bit to the outside so that on-coming dogs don't crash into you.



No comments:

Post a Comment