Saturday, May 24, 2014

Bend it like Beckham

OK, not really.  None of us play soccer.  But we are practicing for our sports of choice & aspiring to great highs - like the students in that movie.  Of course, Garis may already be the Beckham of Silken Oval racing, but "Bend it like Garis" does not have the same alliterative zing for a title.

Our story starred the InPhenite Hounds, that's me, Opa!, & Appley plus Mintz the Greyhound & Wicka, the Greyhound puppy.  Our co-stars were Garis, Kam, Shiner, & Cayman (Jackie's pack), Dove (Cherie's Silken), and a cameo appearance by a terrier puppy named Bunny (I missed his owner's name).  Bunny certainly enjoyed chasing the bunny once properly introduced. LOL.

As usual, Garis was a speedster & 'won' his practices with Cayman, but on their 2nd run Cayman got a quick start and initially had the lead.  Garis caught him, but it was close.  Nice job Cayman.
Kam ran with Shiner, who will still be too young to race at SF.  Although Kam 'won' Shiner is focused & shows a lot of promise.  I think he'll be super fast like his dad, Garis.

Cherie let Opa! run with Dove.  J released Opa! slightly late, & the run looked good for both.  In their 2nd run, they started pretty close together, & she bumped right after the start.  I think it was intentional, but Opa! denies it.  Like a good trainer, Dove ignored it & zoomed ahead.  (Opa! is a skinny little thing - he probably didn't notice.)  Anyway, she was not far behind at the end of the run, but did not run into him them.

Appley ran 1/2 lengths with the Grey puppy, Wicka.  She is almost his height now.  What can I say . . .  she smoked him.  Admittedly, Appley is not a fast or enthusiastic runner, but Wicka is only 6 months old!  She's going to be a wicked runner (pun intended).

Mintz & I each ran our 1st runs alone, but J decided to pair us at the end.  (We were late for some human 'playdate'. )  Now, Mintz is an enormous Greyhound, & I am a mere 21".   They expected him to smoke me, and wondered if I might stop part way in disgust.  That was a valid option; I mean, how fair is that: running little me with a Greyhound.   J did start him a bit further back from the lure (his initial strides & speed are CRAZY long & fast) - but I was NOT going to be smoked.  Yes, he caught me quickly, but everyone was shocked how close on his tail I was able to stay.  I may even have been gaining some ground right at the end.
Hmph.  Because I do not always RUN, some people are surprised when they see me go into top gear. In fact, I can run quite well; I just do not always choose to do this.

To bed now . . . I will dream of Silkenfest 2014; it's less than one week away!


1 comment:

  1. Today was fun, a bit toasty but always a good run. Bunny's mom is Lynette Blue. She is an AKC judge and has the top Sammys for many years. Polor Mist is her kennel name. Her husband judged for us at NWfest. Dr. Harold Engle. He gave Bados a best of breed at NAKC shows and maybe at NWfest. He knows how to pick em.

    ReplyDelete